MEA Attestation

The process of authenticating a document to a level so that another country can accept it as genuine is known as Attestation or Legalization.

Attestation is done for all the nations, which are not a member of Hague Convention. Ministry of External Affairs attests the true copy or the original of the documents to be used in another country.

Types of document attested:

1) Education Certificates–

a) Education Certificates Attestation is required to obtain an employment visa or labour card for most of the company assigned designations ( Executive, Manager, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) etc.)

2) Non Educational or Vital Certificates–

a) Attestation on non-educational certificates is required to obtain residence visa for wife, children, in-laws etc.
b) Transfer certificate needs to get attested in case of children from the respective embassy.

3) Power of Attorney / Memorandum or Article of Association–

a) To get the right to sell properties in Home Country
b) When a partner in home country want to discontinue LCC partnership in another country
c) To open Bank account in host country
d) To form a company in host country (Company Registration)

4) Experience certificate –

a) Doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other specialised professionals need to get their experience certificate attested. In addition, if planning to appear for Ministry of Health (MOH) and Department of Health (DOH) examination, getting experience certificate attested is mandatory from the respective Embassy. b) UPDA registration for Engineers

Procedure for Attestation

Step 1 – Authentication of documents:

First, the designated authority of the State from where the documents has been issued has to authenticate the documents to be attested. The following authorities authenticate the respective type of documents:

  • Personal documents – Home/General Administration Department
  • Educational documents – Educational Department
  • Commercial documents – Chamber of Commerce

Step 2 – Legalisation of documents:

After the authentication of those documents the Ministry of External Affairs legalises those documents on the basis of the signature of the designated signing authorities of the State.